Friday, July 2, 2010

Nirvana Makes You Think





The other week I ended up watching Behind The Music: Courtney Love on VH1. This is one of those secret guilty pleasure shows to me because I find other people in general fascinating. However, I find the premise of this episode to be somewhat misleading as it wasn't completely Courtney Love focused due to her entanglement with Kurt Cobain. And less face it, can't get a live interview with that guy. That being said, it got me thinking . . .

On one hand, Nirvana is a pretty rockin' band that I gently partake in when in the mood and alternatively, whether I like it or not, know essentially all the words to the songs. While they weren't around for a ton of time, their impact is pretty obvious. I know their songs and still to this day, people rock out. So this may get one thinking about what they could of done had he still been alive and they stayed together . . .

On the other hand, I'm a firm believer that things happen for a reason and without this turn of events we would never have had Foo. The Foo Fighters that is. Dave Grohl was the drummer of Nirvanna and people may not have ever know the amazingness of Foo had Kurt lived. Never known the songs, never laughed at the mentos-inspired music video, never heard the raw sound of his voice or seen him go from grungy long-haired dude to sexy lead singer guy. And that, would be sad . . .

This then, of course, got me thinking of other bands cut short and their impact: Led Zepplin - Stairway to Heaven. Though a little nutty, that guy's voice was amazing. Lynyrd Skynyrd - Sweet Home Alabama. Who doesn't know (and dance) to this song? The Beattles. Though often hard to understand and being the first official "boy band" (in my mind), you can't deny that John Lennon had a voice and at the idea was sort of revolutionary for the time. Can you Imagine? And my personal favorite . . . Queen. Freddy Mercury. The. End.

MMT



No comments:

Post a Comment