Friday, October 22, 2010

Pumpkin Patch: One Woman's Mission To Find THE PERFECT Pumpkin


It's October . . . that means pumpkin season. Every year my October is filled with the search to find my perfect pumpkins and a plot of what to do. Each year I find a orange pumpkin and a white pumpkin. I have a soft spot for albino pumpkins. They make me smile. And when I see a whole bushel of  them, I want to bring them all home. Like orphan children being overlooked that I must save. Christian pumpkins fund.

So, as part of a my great pumpkin plot I also have to factor in where I will go. For years I've been going to one place on the island and it's been wonderful. They had a patch and a maze, farm animals and pumpkins-a-plenty. That is until they closed down last year. Extreme sad face. And while I found my pumpkins last year, there are two dislikes that factor into my pumpkin plot: A) a dislike for highly commercialized places and B) a dislike for huge crowds of sticky fingered munchkins. So this year I thought I'd try some place new . . .


So I drive my tush down to Newberg and find plenty of white pumpkins. I also find that the place does not open until 1pm. No bueno. So what does a girl do for an hour? Why get halloween toes and an ice cream cone of course! Last week I painted my toes white with black dots for fun. But alas, I didn't do the best job. So in the effort of time wasting in a fun way, I went in and had them redone. Woooo! And afterwards, I stopped by one of my favorite cutes ice cream shops and got a scoop of chocolate peanut butter. Yum!

Polka dot toes for Halloween!

Once enough time was wasted I headed back out and found that after all of that waiting, no love . . . He had big white pumpkins but not smaller ones really and this just would not do. I tried the place down the street even, but immediately needed a bag to hyperventilate into! Screaming children, pony rides and bathroom lines. Ugh! I preface all of this by saying that if I had kids and a family, I would find the piggy train rides and hay bail slides much more deliriously fun, but I don't and I'm on a mission so get outta my way! Look out kiddies, momma's got a pumpkin and she knows how to use it. On top of all this, I couldn't even locate their pumpkin patch and I wasn't about to ask so this was a bust . . . other than using their bathroom that is. So on my way I went . . .

And of course, I should have known it, my initial idea was the best. I opted to go to a different pumpkin patch in a completely different direction and it was the best thing ever. There were people there, but no overly crowded. Fun things to do without being overly hoaky. And lots of fun pumpkins to choose from! Of course, I couldn't pick just one white one. But I think I did ok!





I couldn't help but love him :)


And finally, I introduce to you . . .
My three pumpkins


Happy carving this weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment