Friday, March 19, 2010

Back To Basics


Back to Basics



This is my first post on this thing and it has been over a year since I've blogged. I'm a little rusty you could say. But then you might wonder, why did I stop in the first place . . . Good question. I have no idea. I guess I let life get the best of me. I was an avid blogger with an avid following, talked about everything under the sun and was fairly consistent, but then it sort of all drifted away as I let other craptastic things over shadow basic essentials. Funny how easily that can happen. I wish not, but alas. And I let myself go right along with it. But that was then and this is now.

Right now I am getting back to my essential basics. My best friends who are at my core and enjoying those relationships. My current goal is to work on listening. It's sort of a tricky thing. There's a big different between thinking you're listening and actually doing so. I confess, at times I become victim to the first one rather than the latter. I confess I've often heard what someone said but rather than letting it just sink it, I've thought about what I'm going to say next. I've probably talked over others before, that's not really good either. So now, rather than being concerned about the next thing to pop out of my mouth, I'm trying to focus on what they are really saying and thinking indepthly on my response. I'm a work in progress.

I'm also taking more "Me Time". For me, this is a crucial part of my existence. It's so easy to put yourself last or forget about what essentially made you happy prior to that big thing currently going on. To let "the small stuff" (i.e. work, bills, obligations) cloud your memory. But as soon as I let go, everything else started to flow. I've been taking more drives to random places again. I like seeing new places just as much as going to places I've been a thousand times and seeing it in a new light each time. What you see and feel one day is completely different from what you see and feel the next . . . and it never gets old. The picture above is from a random drive I took the other day. It's a view of the Gorge. And it was the most beautiful day, I don't think I could have asked for anything more! Last night I got the urge to paint again and I'm so elated. Grant you, I pooped out and didn't do it due to work the next morning, but just the urge to do so is fantastic. I truly can't wait to start. I'm debating on trying a new medium. I don't paint in watercolors, never really liked the light airyness of it all. I've loved other people's watercolor paintings before, but they've never really been my style. My grandfather recently got into them though and so I might see how I like them. If nothing else, I can say I tried. I'm going through another music mood shift again. It could be the changing seasons. Or maybe it's just that I'm back to doing more than just casually listening to it. Can't complain about that.

Lately I've been coming across more and more moments that take my breath away. It is the most basic and beautiful feeling ever. It sinks right to my core and just sits there. I'm trying to get used to just feeling. Most people don't understand this. They think "oh feeling, I do that everyday, no big deal". There's something completely organic and uncompromised about feeling something and just sitting in it. Whether the feeling is good or bad, just acknowledging it's presence and sitting in it, feeling it. It's a very odd, but pleasant thing for me right now. I had gotten used to moving on to the next feeling or the next thing, that I sometimes lost sight of what the feeling was or why it was there or why I moved on from it. But I'm trying to not let myself get away with that anymore. So far it's going well. I'm optimistic. 


And on that note, I'm going to sign off for now. Thanks for reading and have a wonderful day! Till later my lovely ladies and jellyspoons.


No comments:

Post a Comment