Thursday, April 15, 2010

An Overwhelming Experience


This evening I had an overwhelming experience that I felt like I should share. My father and I went to dinner at the buffet. We try to do something once a week that's just us. A bonding sort of thing. Anywho . . . we're finishing up our meal and I notice in the corner the sweetest little old man. Each time he passed, he was lovely and smiled in that genuine way. I observed him for some time and then the oddest feeling washed over me. I got the urge to get up and go over and introduce myself and say hello. I don't know why, but i could not shake the feeling. It sat with me for a good time. Like if I did, it would be a better place. In the end, I didn't do it. And it felt wrong not doing so. When we left I made a very specific point to smile and wave to him. His face lit up as he waved back. I'm happy I waved, but I teared up at the thought that it wasn't really what I wanted to do. I felt there was more there.

Every once in awhile I get these feelings and they are overwhelming. I love them and hate them at the same time. I love them because it's a feeling to do good or do better. I hate them because if I go against it then I feel bad or wrong.

Another example happened last week. I was driving to my grandparents and passing through a small neighborhood. Along the side of the rode in the driveway was a sweet man in his wheelchair, just watching traffic go by. I quickly decided that I was going to wave to him as I drove by. Then low and behold . . . he waves to me first! He knocked me outta my socks. Of course I waved back. And continues to smile for the rest of the day because of it. Amazing.

So that's my story. I had to share. I hope that it will inspire you next time you get that feeling to do something good that you'll take it . . . with love.


No comments:

Post a Comment